Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Setting Goals: The First Step

One thing that motherhood has certainly derailed in my life is my ability to set and attain personal goals. Don't get me wrong--I have still been successful at achieving some of my goals--completing my runs and finishing my Minnesota license courses were two big accomplishments in the past year--but the day-to-day goals have become harder to complete. Part of the problem is that I'm setting too many goals (i.e. "During naptime today I will organize the closet, finish all of the laundry, and clean the bathroom!" Ain't gonna happen.)

I have decided to revisit this problem and apply my former goal-setting self to the task. After much thinking and discussing with Bryan, I have settled on three goals to get our family into the swing of things for the end of summer and starting off the new school year right.

1. Organize Our House
This goal falls into the "previously unattainable" category, because in the past I have been too hung up on the enormity of the task. Clean. The. Entire. House. Seems impossible. Buy. New. Organizational. Components. Seems impossible AND expensive.

Then, I went on a trip for a week. Before my trip, I organized and cleaned the house in the most superficial ways, but I neglected the big stuff, such as cleaning out the fridge or taking out the trash. The result? A stinky fridge, a lot of overripe leftovers, and one lemon worthy of a science experiment. Out of necessity, then, the next day, I took my refrigerator to task. I cleaned out all of the bad food and threw things away without remorse. I removed everything and cleaned it with Lysol. I even organized the condiments on our door by--get this--cuisine region. For the curious, our drawers are England (jams and marmalades), America (ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, and various salad dressings), Asia (Sriacha, soy sauces, curries and chili sauces), and Mexico (peppers and salsas).

Placing the newly purchased groceries in the freshly clean and sparkling fridge was surprisingly satisfying. I loved having an organization to every part of the fridge, and I particularly loved that everything was earmarked for a particular purpose (see Goal #2, coming next). I took the extra ten minutes to prep my fruits for the week to ensure that they would be used (it is always easier to eat ice cream for dessert rather than cut up the fresh pineapple, but if the pineapple is ready to go in a Ziploc container, there is little excuse).

The entire process took me a little more than 45 minutes, and it got me to thinking. What if I apply this single-task approach to the entire house? I don't have to complete everything, just one or two small tasks per day. Of course, that means that I will not have my completely cleaned and organized home in under a week as I had hoped. But allowing myself "me" time during my day is just as important as having a clean house. And although I know that I want to...

organize the closets, vacuum EVERYTHING, make file folders for documents, print said documents and file them, make lists of our basement "extras," paint the downstairs, paint the bathroom, organize my dresser, make Bryan clean the office, find a spot for our weights, put all the DVDs in the correct cases, sell old clothes and books online, convert my recipes from the file to a bigger binder....

I get no small amount of satisfaction every time I open the fridge.

(Stay tuned for Goals 2 & 3, to include recipes for my new Tangy Ranch Skewers and Orange Chipotle Chicken!)

4 comments:

  1. Love this. Are you familiar with FlyLady.com? I don't follow everything (or even half of it) because I'm beyond unmotivated when it comes to cleaning my house, but there are some fabulous tips on there. If you like it on facebook, you get daily updates. One thing I've taken and actually follow is to never to go sleep with dishes in the sink. Actually helps! We have no dishwasher, so I feel like I'm spending hours each day doing dishes, but it's nice to wake up to a clean sink....if nothing else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate and have been through this same process. Alfredo suggested this while i was when i began writing the cook book, making the whole testing process with a toddler less stressful. it also helps me to not waist as much food as i can see everything and know what i have to work with. Shopping with a list that allots for one impulse buy, Planning the menu for the week and prepping in the same day may seem overwhelming but i find that i have a more leisurely week with one day of work then the stress of "What are we going to eat!!" when i have low blood sugar and would rather read my novel then spend time in the kitchen.

    I also find that filling a HUGE Tupperware with a made undressed salad is a great motivator. by just adding some light dressing and a bit of crunch and protein i eat better and snack less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah: I am with you on the dishes rule. Bryan's and my goal is to always go to bed with a (mostly) clean kitchen.

    Joy: "Bag-o-salad" is a staple in our fridge. I typically add extra carrots and a tablespoon of blue cheese. Healthy cereal is also a good go-to snack for me (and, failing that, Special K with Chocolate Chunks does the trick).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelly! Love your blog and can't wait for the recipes! After 30+ years of cooking, I have gotten REALLY TIRED of my go-to meals so I'm going to try some of yours. I always tell your mom and some of my friends that we should trade grocery lists - you really look at the world a different way. Also, I totally do the "task of the day" because that helps me a lot. Trying to get Pete-man to do it too, as his living quarters look like Gram's kitchen table - YIKES! Keep up the great writing! Love you! Aunt Gail

    ReplyDelete